BVI Family Sailing Trip with The Moorings

Spending per week bouncing around The British Virgin Islands in a 40′ catamaran as a household was exhilarating and centering. It s a trip we all looked forward to for years and yet it still turned out better than we might have expected. We loved partnering with The Moorings with this experience and had a smooth and wonderful experience. 

A Fast glance at our sailing history, first:

David owned a 28 ′ monohull for a period of time before we were married. David and I spent a part of the honeymoon on a small, crewed monohull after we got married. By renting one of those four staterooms we visited the British Virgin Islands on a crewed 44 ′ catamaran in 2013. You’re able to read each of the details of the business we selected and our expertise here and read about some of the islands we visited here along with here. We knew we wanted to return as a family.

I’m working on a post answering each of the most often asked questions I’ve obtained, from price, to experience essential, to how to really go about establishing this type of adventure, but this article is focused on our itinerary and expertise of our loved sailing excursion in the BVIs with The Moorings. I was overwhelmed by Instagram from the amount of you who have included this trip to your traveling bucket list, so in the event you have any queries, please leave them in the comments and I’ll make certain to address them at the upcoming post!

Looking back, we feel we knocked this BVI sailing itinerary. We hit all of the critical places we wanted to take the kids, never felt hurried, obtained in some excellent sails, and enjoyed a great mix of relaxation and action. Though we had planned , we did not map out our excursion ahead of time. Instead, we chose to wing it and find out how we felt on each day as it arrived. The weather is generally pretty awesome, but we didn’t need to be overly committed to a plan in case we had less than perfect conditions. Lucky for us, the weather has been perfect- lows of 76, munching 84 winds, and skies. 

Day 1: Charlotte to St. Thomas

Our flight out of Charlotte, direct to St. Thomas (USVI), shot away during childbirth. It made for a comfortable entrance into holiday. We arrived a few hours at the airport, also utilized The Parking Spot (that I highly recommend for long term parking), and took off on time. The flight was approximately 3 1/2 hours. We landed and got our luggage with no matter, then took a cab to The Windward Passage Hotel, that is a brief stroll away from the ferry terminal.

We unloaded, then walked down the street to Hook, Line and Sinker, a royal restaurant by the docks. Before sitting down to purchase, we grabbed some drinks and wandered the docks somewhat. It was a terrific way. The food was good, the service was friendly, even though not fast, and we thoroughly enjoyed seeing the girls chase the cows that meandered close to our table and play under the coconut trees.

Day two: St. Thomas to Tortola into Peter Island

We had bookings for your 8:30 AM Quick Ferry, therefore we got out and up 20, the next morning. While David assessed us in, I grabbed some breakfast that was to-go out of a coffee shop. The ferry wasn’t exactly prompt, however it wasn’t too far behind schedule, that has been a welcome surprise since we know a great deal of things from the islands operate on, well, island time. The ferry was loved by the women! We sat upstairs in a desk so they had space to spread out their laptops but most of all they loved the rear swells we snapped over on our trip into Tortola.

We disembarked, went through customs, that was slow, but then were amazed by the efficiency of this free open-air cab that took us from the ferry pier to The Moorings principal hub. We were bombarded with friendly and helpful faces. We found out our boat could be ready . Prior to boarding, David had to wait for an hour long seminar covering the fundamentals of the ship and the area. While he did that, the women and I took advantage of this dockside restaurant and bar, which was truly beautiful. It was all shaded and open-air, with lovers circulating the breeze, had a great pool, good menu, and complete bar. It turned out to be a wonderful spot to regroup until we went to supply.

A note : the map had revealed the supermarket throughout the street so we figured people ’d just swing and perform our own shopping prior to boarding. I would not suggest it, while it worked out well enough. It’s of a stroll than we believed and we had to take all the groceries by hand. Next time we will take advantage of the provisioning service provided through The Moorings before arrival. Be mindful that grocery stores in the island have been 2-3 times what I could find in North Carolina. I had been expecting this, however I had a small sticker shock.

We’d booked a captain to help us navigate the first 2 days of their trip, but when David came from his interview, he felt convinced we can do it on our own. We informed him and met with Captain Steve on our boat. He was amazingly friendly and helped walk us everything we needed to understand and helped us disembark in the docks. We had paid for 2 weeks of captaining, and while there are no refunds, we liked the idea of being alone on the ship. 

We ended up leaving Tortola during the late afternoon, destined to get Peter Island, that will be directly across the station. It took approximately an hour to get to the mooring field we planned on staying at night and following a quick refresher for me how to hook a mooring ball, we had been tied up for the evening.

I also cooked a chicken fajita dinner for us and we ate at the table at the back of the boat, as we watched the moon rise across Peter Island. 

Day 3: Peter Island into Virgin Gorda

While moored, we woke up and took our time. The women relaxed on the front part of the boat while I created fruit and cheesy egg wraps. The dense mornings were among my favourite pieces of our trip and we sipped on coffee, tea, and orange juice until slowly transitioning to bathing suits and sunscreen.

We took the dinghy to a shore covered with shells. We spent an hour or two searching through shells, trying out our snorkel gear, and swimmingpool. David used the drone to get some footage and the afternoon passed.

After lunch the girls were overcome, so they moved to their rooms with publications and Barbies while David and I set sail towards Virgin Gorda. We’re curious to check out the advancement of The Bitter End Yacht Club along with Saba Rock. We cranked up the tunes and sat at the helm, sipping on a home made painkillers. It was a lengthy and relaxing sail and we thoroughly enjoyed all 2-3 hours . Shortly we’re rounding Necker Island and yanking into the north sound. We were honestly shocked and devastated to realize that nothing was there as we neared The Bitter End. It was wiped clean, minus an old dock with a small ships attached to it. Nobody was there so we round the corner and discovered that an accessible mooring ball at Biras Creek Resort (that is presently rebuilding but comes with an open mooring area ).

We took the dinghy around the corner to find a better look, once procured. I’ve seen the emails going out concerning their plan along with The Bitter End Yacht Club to rebuild. I can’t wait to watch them back! However, by the looks of this , it won’t be anytime soon. Saba Rock has been a complete structure zone so hopefully it’ll be up and running!

We returned to the boat in time to cook up a fish and veggie stir fry over coconut rice, then tuck the women in, and see from the moonlight.

Day 4: Virgin Gorda to Anegada

We were aware that everyone denotes the sail to Anegada because “the extended one” so when David and I woke up in the crack of dawn, and we decided to go right ahead and start heading that way. By 5:30 AM we were away. The girls woke up an hour or so to the sail and that I had quite the experience seeking to make breakfast with 4-5 foot swells. Frankly, it was pretty fun and comical until wash up time arrived and I’d started feeling a little queasy. I trapped the dishes in the sink for later and went to the helm. Feeling the breeze and Seeing the horizon had me feeling better in no time.

We had been anticipating a 4-5 hour sail, therefore we couldn’t believe it when we came from 8:30 AM. It’s we were moving fast, but all of the islands from the BVIs are so close to each other that 3 hours in considered a long sail! We navigated the route discovered a mooring ball fairly easily emphasise wondering how exactly we ’d pay the day.

Barry in The Lobster Trap swung by around then and was super friendly, so informing us about The Anegada Beach Club and if we wanted dinner reservations to create them by 4:00 PM. We have ready for the afternoon and also took the dinghy. We made bookings from The Lobster Trap that day then took advantage of their offer to shuttle to another side of the island to the shore club. I’m glad we did since the Anegada Beach Club was AWESOME. It’s a wonderful, islandy feel- thatched roofs, even the most beautiful white, sandy beach, along with a little pool that the children ran to instantly.

We spent the whole day there, walking the beach, splashing in the swimming pool, relaxing in the hammocks, eating fish tacos and sipping rum punch. It was amazing!

Late afternoon welcomed, awakened and we went back into the ship. We were one of the very initial bookings and were seated on the dock patio. I wasn’t sure what I was expecting food wise, but had been blown away at delicious and how fresh the conch fritters were! My Mahi followed suit. David ordered the lobster (because that is what Anegada is famous for) and ittoo, was incredible. We went to bed with skin that was bruised bellies and stuffed. 

Day 5: Anegada into The Bathrooms to Marina Cay

We left Anegada . We knew we needed to go to The Baths National Park on Virgin Gorda. We heard getting a mooring ball could be hard so we found our hands one could be available when we arrived. The sail that there was amazing. I sat upfront the entire time, switching only from the seat on the bow to the shaded seat facing the chimney to tell the girls stories and give Hailey ginger ale if the rolling waves became too much for them to sit inside.

We pulled up around midday into the baths and have been thrilled to locating a mooring. We all took our dinghy into the ropes, and then all placed on our flippers and goggles to shore. The little beach was covered with tourists our a cruise boat expedition, but luckily most of them had gone via The Baths, leaving it largely empty for all of us.

I had high expectations for the Baths, knowing just how much I really like it last time, and it did not disappoint. Seeing it through the eyes was especially incredible. The lit up and loved surprise pools of ocean water every second of the secret passages, along with paths. 

From the time we made it through to Devil’s Bay Beach, the cruise ship team had gone and we had it completely to ourselves- such luck! We spent an hour watching the girls play in the sea hoping to capture tiny fish. We shut off on the rear of the ship and swam back to the dinghy.

We were beat. Hailey ran to her diary. David and I looked at the map trying to select a close place to stay at night (you can’t stay overnight at The Baths), and opted to go just through the channel to Marina Cay. It was not anything fancy but a great place to stay the night, that had garbage pickup along with a gentle breeze, also.

Day 6: Marina Cay to Jost Van Dyke

On day 6 we got out first and sailed over to The Sandy Spit, an uninhabited islet. As we anchored, some other ships were leaving, so we kayaked into the small island ended up having it to ourselves for over one hour. The women were content to play in the waves and stack washed up coral and stones. David played with the drone a bit while I relaxed and watched the women along with the footage he seized is fairly incredible (search for this in the movie!) .

We made it back to our ship, ate some lunch and motored over to Foxy’s Taboo on Jost Van Dyke. We went and took the brief hike to the pool that was bubbly. The hike was excellent! We climbed a few rocks, walked beyond goats and chickens, and took at the unbelievable ocean views. The bubbly pool itself was not really bubbly when we showed up (perhaps the tide was out?) , however, the girls still adored getting chase tiny fish in the crystal clear water and to wade in.

After hiking back, we motored again to Great Harbour on Jost Van Dyke. Each of the mooring balls were stuffed by the time we arrived at the late afternoon, so we made an account using Boatyball and snagged one of those previous two. I took a shower After we moored and it made me feel like a million dollars. It had been a very full day. As the sun started to descend we kept tabs on a sea turtle which kept poking his head up around our boat and had a family dance party to the front of the ship.  Eventually we headed to shore for supper in Foxy’s. We had no trouble snagging a table. The girls giggled in the arbitrary cat that wandered around the open dining area and David and I liked chowing down on calamari and fish pasta and kicking feet out up. We didn ’ t even wind up remaining for karaoke, but being part of the crown proved to be a relaxed and superb ending to a day that is complete.

Day 7: Jost Van Dyke to Cooper Island

After getting a wonderful night of sleep and moving to bed early, we all felt happy and ready for a fun afternoon. We had been up early and decided to go ahead and scoot over to The Soggy Dollar Bar just around the corner out of Foxy’s on Jost Van Dyke. We were among the first boats to arrive, so anchoring was easy. We headed to shore around 10:00, as they were opening, and it was humorous to see the haven stuffed up from that point. The beach at The Soggy Dollar Bar is famous and has a beach that is great. We had a blast playing in the water and relaxing at the lounge chairs.

The hours passed quickly and mid-afternoon we realized it was time. We picked up our anchor and set sail to our must see with ” spot on our agenda- Cooper Island.

Cooper Island is another favorite location, so we booked a Boatyball beforehand, after hearing they’re among the places that reliably enforces it. We came late afternoon. While David went to view dinner bookings, I took off into the beach with the women. Apparently there was just 1 slot left- that the 8:00 PM reservation, which happened to be that our normal household bedtime. Nevertheless, we spent time checking out the jog tasting area, walking to the beach, and playing games and snagged it. When it came time for dinner, then we ordered but Kaitlyn still dropped asleep while sitting up at the table! Needless to saywe didnall crashed into our beds hard once we came back on the ship and ’ t stay for dessert!

Day 8: Cooper Island to The Baths to Virgin Gorda

Our last day aboard Friday. With this point, we had checked most of the places we wished to see off. Where move somewhere new, or they like to visit , we made a decision to ask the women. They both quickly replied they desired to go back to The Baths, where we led so ’ s. We drifted s Bay in the ship and let the women lead the charge.

They wanted to follow a walking course, so ” we followed along, although it had been labeled “ into the car parking. I’m so glad we did since we ended up finding a gem of a household area – The Top of The Bathrooms . The Baths’ Top is a big restaurant with an extraordinary view and a pool. We hadn’t planned on having lunch and staying but the girls were so excited by the pool that we ended up spending an hour or two, poolside.

Afterwards we trekked back into The Baths and also spent another few of hours wandering through the pools and then crawling through tunnels. We didn’t feel pressure to have to see anything, because this is our second time through, and it was equally as relaxed and playful as might be- a fantastic moment!

We headed to find CocoMaya, a restaurant and left. It ended up being a cherry on top of a excellent moment! See our whole adventure at CocoMaya here. It is strongly recommended by me!

Day 9: Virgin Gorda into Tortola to St. Thomas to Charlotte

Over the day we left, we motored around to Salt Island, a small (and abandoned because the hurricane) island early in the afternoon. We watched the wild goats roam and graze while we packed up, cleaned, and ready for the trip home and anchored. Then we made our decision back. We predicted the harbor master, who sent a captain to assist us dock the boat out when we got close.

We gathered all of our food and drinks and handed them off to your family going to set sail to the week. They were very thrilled- especially with the bottle of rum! The Moorings’ team was good. They came aboard, smiling and friendly, telling us to not worry about cleaning a thing, and we said goodbye to S/V Scrapper and disembarked.

From there we took a cab to the ferry, then another cab to a marina to hug a few of our friends that set sail for the week. We came home at about 9:00 PM. 

What. A. Whirlwind. 

We couldn ’ t wipe the smiles from the adventure our faces off to get at least a week while we would have loved to get the next week to bounce around the seas and see a number of the areas. I felt changed. I love the island civilization and felt encouraged to bring some of it back into the US. In the friendliness into the relaxed feel of these days (nobody cried ), it’s beautiful means to do life.

Want to observe this trip in action?

Click here to view our BVI sailing video in our trip!

In case you have any questions, please comment below and also I ’ll be sure to answer !

Related posts

Leave a Comment