1. Wash and prepare the vegetables. Break the chicory into individual leaves and then slice the fennel and celery to crudités. Make sure that they are nice and warm by patting with a towel. Keep them someplace cool until ready to serve.
2. Melt the butter or ghee in a saucepan, add the anchovies, parsley and simmer until the anchovies dissolve in the butter and cook.
3. Add the garlic, 250 ml water and the crème fraîche and then slowly bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and gently simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly, until reduced by half, then mix.
4. Test a crudité from the mixture to inspect the consistency. If the flavour isn’t extreme enough, then simmer a little more time to reduce and thicken.
5. Serve in a dish above a candle or in a pot, swirling through the virgin olive oil kept from the anchovies. Give it a whisk, In case the sauce begins to separate.
6. Dip the vegetables in the Bagna Cauda and love!